November 1, 2011

Just a comment on weight gain ...

It's Week 30 and I have gained 6 lbs during the entire pregnancy.

There have been multiple reactions to this, mainly shock and concern.

First, many friends (and random women who ask me about this) are shocked that I have gained so little.  Usually I hear "I gained 65 lbs" or "I gained 50 lbs" or "I gained more than that before the end of the first trimester".  Yes, you are supposed to gain weight during pregnancy and most women gain quite a bit ... and this is normal for them.

Then, the shock usually turns to concern (or, if the friend has not had a baby, it starts with concern and/or confusion).  "Is it safe for the baby to gain so little weight??"

The doctors say it really has to do with the weight Mom starts at.  If Mom is very skinny to start, gaining 50 lbs is a good thing.  If Mom is very heavy to start, gaining 50 lbs is a bad thing.

To be honest, I was on the very heavy side before I was pregnant.  I weighed more pre-pregnancy than many of my friends did at 9-months pregnant!  So there is no need for me to gain a lot of weight!  I already have it!

My PA/doctor are totally fine with my minimal weight gain.  From the beginning, my goal was to only gain a total of 10 lbs and my doctor agreed that 10-15 lbs is a good goal.  FOR ME.  This is surely a bad goal for "normal" sized Moms.  But I am right on track!

Just wanted to (1) assure you that weight gain is good for most Moms during their pregnancy and (2) dispell your concern -- because I am right on track for me!

Fingers crossed that all continues to go well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen-
As a plus sized mom pre-mom, I too tried to minimize my weight gain during pregnancy. I ate well, but healthy and actually got more physically active (walking in the pool-amazing when you a baby huge!). I got thru the entire pregnancy gaining only about 8 lbs. Post baby I am now close to 40 lbs down from my pre-preggo weight. SWEET! Oh, and if you plan to breastfeed, best weight loss plan ever!!! Keep on doing what you are doing! -natalie