March 29, 2012

Eli eats!

As I mentioned before, Eli tried his first taste of cereal on our trip to Buffalo.  His pediatrician told us to start cereal at 3 months and fruits and veggies at 4 months.  

Every Mom I talk to about this is shocked.  Apparently, from what I hear and what I read, no one starts solids that early. 

I'm not exactly sure why Eli's pediatrician wanted him to start so early.  Could be because he was little (and is still under the 25th percentile for weight, despite being at about the 75th percentile for height).  But he said to start spoon feeding him at 3 months.  He specifically wanted him eating it with a spoon and NOT adding the rice cereal to the bottle (as a few other Moms suggested to me).  Practice maybe?  

"What's this stuff?"
"Yummy"
So far, we don't feed Eli the rice cereal everyday.  He's pretty happy with his formula (10 times a day!).  We usually feed him every other night.  We have him sit in his high chair (which reclines back, because he can't sit up straight yet!) while we eat dinner and then I try to spoon in a bit of cereal.  I would say he really only eats a tablespoon or so!  He mainly licks at it and spits a bit out and makes funny faces at me!  But he enjoys it, so I am happy to do it.  For now, I think it is more of a fun activity for Eli than any sort of meal, but that's OK.  We're going to stick with the cereal a few more weeks and then move on to some veggies!

No comments: