September 6, 2011

Finding out about Baby Wynne ...

To tell the truth ... Baby Wynne was a surprise!

This may be too much information for some of you, but I thought I would share our story.

After we got married on New Year's Eve, we decided we'd wait a while before having kids.  We love kids, but we have plenty of babies around to spoil and play with!  And we thought we'd enjoy a year of marriage before a baby!

So how did Baby Wynne happen?

Well, as Ryan and I both have PhDs in biology, I shouldn't admit this.  But we just figured that going off birth control pills wouldn't immediately result in a baby.  SHHH! Please don't tell my colleagues or my students! 

Honestly, the vast majority of the people we know that have gone on the "baby journey" in the last 5 or so years have all had many obstacles.  Multiple miscarriages, months of temperature taking or peeing on ovulation sticks, calendars and counting of days, progesterone injections, clomid pills for ovulation, a 16-hour plane ride to China.  From their experiences, I honestly didn't think it'd be so simple!

Then one day in May (just 7 weeks after giving up the pill), I realized I was a few days "late".  I took a test (which was in my bathroom closet, thanks to one of my "done for now" friends).  And, INSTANTLY, we knew about Baby Wynne!

I'd like to say Ryan and I had the most wonderful reaction to the news of our first child.  Well, Ryan pretty much did! He was immediately a proud father!  I was more of a shocked mother and may have dropped a few words that I wouldn't want my new baby to hear.  I may also have cried a bit.  A mix of surprise and guilt (over having a few alcoholic drinks and a serious amount of caffeine during those first two crucial weeks of development) impeded the excitement for a while.  Hopefully for the next one, I will have a better initial reaction!

And that is the story of how we found out about Baby Wynne! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should have warned you that sometimes those baby things can happen right away! Maybe we former Itzkowitz Labbies are super fertile!

It is wonderful, no matter how you got there...