November 19, 2011

Commonly Asked Questions #5

Now that we're quickly approaching the arrival of Baby Wynne, the question we get the most (after the one about the sex of the baby and the due date) is:

"Do you have names picked out for the baby?"

Answer: Yes, we do! 

As my friend Becky pointed out, we bought the crib bedding before we were married, so of course we have discussed names! 

And we will share those names soon (I promise), but first, I wanted to share sort of a secondary name question:

"What will the last name of the baby be?"

Answer: Wynne

For some reason, this surprised me.  Some of you might wonder why this question is even asked.  Well, I technically haven't changed my name yet since we got married.  Yes, I know we got married 11 months ago.  At work, I go by Snekser (my maiden name) for academic reasons.  I always meant to take Ryan's name too, but just haven't legally done so.  Ryan honestly doesn't care whether or not I take his name.  He understands why I am hesitant to change my name. 

I always just planned to give our child Ryan's last name.  I never really thought otherwise.  Not Snekser Wynne, like me.  Just Wynne.  I think it is fine when kids have their mom's last name, but not their dad's -- though this often occurs with young mothers or single mothers and is not as common in our situation.  I just think it will be easier if Ryan and Baby Wynne have the same last name.  If my name is a little different, I think people will understand. 

I guess I just didn't expect other people to think about it!  I appreciate it though -- makes me think that people would have been understanding if we had decided on a non-traditional last name!   

I promise -- we'll share the first names soon!!!

No comments: